Servings: 30 TortillasPin it!
- 3 cups masa harina
- 2 cups HOT chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 Tablespoons diced chipotles en adobo
- In a a large bowl add the masa harina and salt. Mix them together well.
- Whisk the bacon fat and chipotles en adobo into the hot chicken broth and add the liquid into your masa harina slowly. Stirring with a wooden spoon at first because it will be hot hot hot!
- When your mixture is cool enough for your hands to handle, mix and knead until the mixture is smooth and easily shaped. It should not stick to your hands, but shouldn’t crumble. If your mixture is still a bit dry add a Tablespoon of hot water at a time until it’s the correct consistency (See the featured picture).
- When mixture is correct allow it to sit for 3 hours under a damp kitchen towel. This setting times allows the harina to absorb all the flavors and moisture it needs to prevent your tortillas from falling apart in the press.
- When your 3 hours is up roll the masa into rounded 2 tablespoon balls and place onto a baking sheet covered with a damp towel.
- Wrap the plates of your tortilla press with plastic wrap ( I like press and seal for this) and place one of the balls in the center.
- Heat your cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Press the balls into tortillas the size of your choosing! The thinner they are they faster they cook, but the more they risk falling apart. Mine are usually 5 to 6 inches across.
- As they come off the press place them into the skillet and cook for 1-3 minutes per side or until they have those extra delicious dark brown spots on them.
- Place finished tortillas in a kitchen towel to keep them warm and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut