Servings: 4Pin it!
- 1 pound Chicken breasts
- 2 oz dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups sushi rice
- 2 inches ginger (peeled and sliced,)
- 3 bunches green onions
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Tablespoons Mirin
- 1 Tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 head garlic sliced in half
- 2 Tablespoon tamari + more for drizzling
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil + more for dizzling
- Crushed peanuts for topping
- In a large stock pot over high heat add 10 cups of chicken stock, 2 bundles of green onion, ginger, star anise, head of garlic, cinnamon, five spice, shiitakes, 1 Tablespoon tamari, 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, and chicken breast. Bring to a boil.
- Once your stock is boiling reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After your stock is done simmering, remove the mushrooms and chicken from the broth, and set aside. Strain the remaining broth though a fine mesh strainer or colander into a large bowl. Discard the leftover spices and seasonings. They’ve done you well. Feel free to pour up for them as you bid them farewell. Plum wine pairs nicely with this! You should be left with a pure and flavorful broth. Return the broth to the pot.
- Over medium low heat. Add your rice to the simmering broth, stir and cover. You will need to check on your rice and stir occasionally. I find every 15 to 20 minutes is enough. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and forms a porridge as pictured. If you would like a soupier porridge- while it’s cooking feel free to add water or more chicken broth to thin as desired.
- When you’ve reached your fave consistency add the mushrooms and chicken back to the pot and mix it up like stir fry. Allow to warm through for 2-3 minutes. Taste for salt remembering you’re going to drizzle with tamari and peanuts.
- Spoon congee into bowls, and top with tamari, green onion, sesame oil, and peanuts.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut