Serves: 6 cups Time: 12-16 hours
- 4 pounds golden delicious apples
- 2 pounds honeycrisp apples
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Dice the apples into one inch pieces and place into a large bowl. Do not include the cores. Also there’s no need to peel the apples, unless you want it suuuuuper smooth. It’s your ship captain. Sail!
- Add cinnamon, cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg, coconut sugar, and white sugar. Toss to coat, then add the maple syrup and vinegar. Toss again and add to your Crock-Pot set for 12 hours on low with the lid on.
- I start this before bed so the majority will be done while sleeping. Easy Peasy. For example if I get up at 6 am I start this at 6 pm the night before.
- When you wake up give the apple butter a good stir, and enjoy the blessed fall aroma of your kitchen.
- Blend the apple butter until smooth by either adding the mixture to a standing blender or using an immersion blender directly in the Crock-Pot.
- If you used a standing blender add the mixture back to the Crock-Pot.
- Remove the lid from the Crock-Pot and cook on low until the butter is as thick as you want it. This part of the process is about cooking off the water so the longer you cook it the thicker it will get, but the less butter it will make. I cook it for about 4 more hours with the lid off.
- When the apple butter is ready allow it to cool slightly and place into mason jars. You can also cool it completely and freeze it in Ziploc bags for a delightful treat all year. Keep unfrozen apple butter in the fridge.