If you are not following a vegetarian diet and would like to amp up the flavor in this dish in a pork-centered way consider adding a pound of ground Italian sausage to your mirepoix while browning with 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes at the end for a delicious twist on traditional lentil soup!
Feel free to use any combination of lentils you have on hand! I like this particular mixture because the red lentils become super soft and thicken the broth a bit while the green stay whole. Cooking times will vary with different lentils- check your package.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 3 ribs celery (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 15 oz can Rotel or diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- In a large pot over medium-high heat combine olive oil and butter, allow the butter to melt in the pot.
- When your butter is melted add the diced onions, carrots, and celery (this is called a mirepoix btw #FancyAF) as well as 1 tsp of lemon pepper. Stir to coat everything and allow to cook down until the onions begin to brown.
- When your veggies are ready add your garlic and saute until fragrant- about a minute.
- When the scent of your garlic has convinced your household you must know what you’re doing add your lentils and seasonings. – bay leaves, paprika, basil, oregano, thyme, lemon pepper, black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Turn your heat to high, pour in the broth, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling- reduce to low and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours or until the lentils are tender, but still intact. Feel free to add more broth or water during this time if you want a brothy soup.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut