Don’t be discouraged by the length of the ingredient list. It’s full of basic pantry staples you likely already have laying around, and makes a rich full-bodied sauce in no time!
If you don’t have Montreal steak seasoning at home substitute:
1 tsp dried dill, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1 Tbsp yellow mustard, 1 tsp fennel seeds, and 1 tsp paprika.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 18 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 cups of white wine
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 large carrot (roughly chopped)
- 1 rib celery (roughly chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- salt to taste
- In a blender combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic cloves and white wine. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add olive oil, Italian sausage, and beef if using. Brown meat in the oil and if using beef add 1 tsp salt.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and wine puree to meat, stir to combine, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low simmer for 20 minutes or until warmed through, and serve over your favorite pasta. This sauce is also the perfect sauce for lasagna!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut