Is there anything more refreshing on a hot summer day than a glass of lemonade?
Today I’ve put a fun twist on the iconic American classic by incorporating basil and strawberry for a uniquely addictive flavor that’ll keep you coming back for more. I enjoy my lemonade slighty more tart than the averge bear, but if after you’ve tasted it you decide it’s too tart for you go ahead and add an extra cup of sugar or a few cups of water and it’ll bring the acidity right on down and have you sippin’ sweetly!
For an even better twist add a few shots of vodka and finish with sparking water or club soda to get the party going right!
- 2 pounds strawberries (halved)
- 4 ½ cups lemon juice (fresh or half fresh, half bottled. )
- 3 cups sugar
- 10 cups water
- 3 cups basil leaves (packed)
- Cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer
- Preheat your oven to 425°F, and if needed get to squeezin' those lemons!
- When oven is preheated place strawberry halves on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes. The strawberries will darken in color and give up some of their juices.
- While strawberries are roasting, in a small sauce pan combine 3 cups of sugar, 2 cups of water, and 3 cups basil leaves. Allow to melt over medium to medium-low heat without stirring. You're creating a simple syrup! Look at you getting down in the kitchen!
- The syrup is done when all the sugar crystals have melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside allowing the basil leaves to continue to steep.
- Add your lemon juice to your serving container.
- When strawberries have finished puree them in a blender or food processor with 2 cups water.
- Strain the strawberry puree through a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer and into your serving container. This removes any seeds and makes a smooth tasty lemonade.
- Remove the basil leaves from the simple syrup and add the syrup to your lemonade.
- Add the remaining 6 cups of water and stir well. Taste for sweetness and adjust as desired. Enjoy with family and friends!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut