Scallops are a hit and miss food for me since I consider them one of the trickier seafood options to prepare. How a scallop is cooked changes EVERYTHING about them! Cook them too long and they’re tough and rubbery- under cook them and they’re a bizarre gooey texture. However, when a scallop is cooked just right they’re beautifully tender, perfectly crisp, and one of the best proteins around!
Luckily for us, scallops are nearly impossible to undercook since they cook up so quickly. If you can sear a scallop well once you can do it again and again and again! I believe in you! My favorite way to serve this is by sauteing spinach in the leftover sauce.
- 1 pound sea scallops (thawed, room temp)
- 1 bunch cilantro (leaves and stems, roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 poblano peppers (seeds and tops removed)
- 2 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pat the sea scallops dry. Using ¼ tsp salt lightly season both sides of the scallops and set aside.
- In a large dry skillet over high heat, char all sides of both prepped poblano peppers and do not peel the skin. This should be quick. roughly 2-3 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender combine all remaining ingredients with the charred peppers except the olive oil and scallops, and blend until smooth.
- Set the skillet you charred the peppers in over med-high heat and allow to heat up, add the Tbsp of olive oil.
- To the hot pan and oil quickly add the scallops. If it doesn't sizzle immediately your pan is not hot enough. Cook the scallops for 2 minutes per side. When you flip the scallop over it should have a golden brown crust.
- That crust means you did it right you seafood cookin' rockstar! Yass!! If it's not golden brown cook for a minute longer over high heat.
- Remove the cooked scallops from the pan and pour in the poblano sauce. Allow to heat through, this should only take a minute or two.
- Plate your scallops and spoon a little sauce over top of them. If you want, leave some of the sauce in the pan and saute your favorite vegetable in it to serve with the scallops. It's delicious! Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut