Jeweled rice is a beautifully vibrant middle eastern dish that’s served at special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, and milestone birthdays. Usually served as a side dish I wanted to make this into a complete meal by adding ground beef.
You can easily make this dish vegan or vegetarian by using your favorite plant based protein and plant based butter like Beyond Beef or Miyoko’s, subbing in a hearty root vegetable like roasted potatoes, or omitting the use of the beef all together. No matter how you make it it’ll be a delicious meal the whole family will love!
- 1 lb ground beef (or meat substitute of your choice)
- 4 large shallots (sliced)
- ½ cup silvered or sliced almonds
- ½ cup pistachios
- 1 large carrot (peeled into ribbons)
- 6 oz dried apricots (roughly chopped)
- 11 oz mandarin oranges (drained)
- 4 oz pomegranate seeds
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice (such as Basmati)
- 5 Tbsp butter (dairy or plant based)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp saffron *optional (can sub 1 tsp paprika)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 3 cups warm water
- In a small bowl combine 3 cups of warm water and saffron or paprika and stir. Set aside.
- Wash your rice until the water runs clear.
- In a large skillet with lid add one tablespoon of olive oil and set the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced shallot and ground beef, season with one teaspoon each of salt and black pepper.
- Cook the beef and shallots until browned and when done remove from the skillet and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In the skillet reduce the heat to medium and add the almonds and pistachios. Gently toast, about 5 minutes. If you wish to garnish your rice reserve a small portion of each nut and set aside to top the rice with. Pour the toasted nuts into the bowl with the beef and shallots.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet and add the washed rice, toast your rice until lightly golden brown. When golden add the cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and cardamom to the pan. Stir into the rice and toast for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Roughly tear the carrot ribbons into bite sized pieces.
- To the rice and spices add the torn carrot ribbons, the bowl of beef and nuts, and dried apricots. Stir well and pour in the 3 cups of saffron or paprika water.
- Allow the water to come to a boil and turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes stir the rice, recover, and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- When the rice is done stir in the remaining butter and coat the rice well. Serve mounded on a large platter or deep bowl. Top with the mandarin oranges, pomegranate seeds, and reserved nuts if using. Serve family style as is or with a vegetable of your choice. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut