Jeera rice is a delicious and easy rice from the northern region of India. It’s flavorful enough to enjoy on it’s own, quick enough to make it to your weeknight rotation, and the perfect accompaniment to curries and heavily spiced dishes. Balance is the name of the game here! Cumin seeds are surprisingly high in antioxidants, iron, and help to promote digestion making this side dish not only a delicious choice, but a healthy one too!
Dairy not your thing? Try it with vegan butter!
- 1 ½ cups Basmati, or long grain white rice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 4" cinnamon sticks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear, drain, and set aside.
- In a small pot over medium-high heat add the butter and allow it to melt.
- When the butter has melted add the cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaf. Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute, and add the rice. Coat the rice in the butter and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Shut the heat to your pan off and look at your hand so your palm is facing you. Look at your index finger. The first line of your finger closest to your finger tip is the PERFECT measure for water to rice ratios. On a flat surface place your fingertip on top of the rice and fill with water until it reaches that line. Be careful of the hot pan!
- Place the pot back over medium-high heat and bring the rice and water to a boil. Turn the heat to low and cover leaving a small gap to allow steam to escape. Follow the cook time instructions on the package for your rice. Cooking should take roughly 10-20 minutes depending upon your rice selection.
- This recipe also works in a rice cooker if you have one available! Just place the toasted rice and spices into the cooker, cover with a the appropriate amount of water, and allow the cooker to work it's magic.
- When your rice is cooked fluff it up with a fork or rice paddle and remove the cinnamon sticks and bay leaf. Serve with your favorite dish and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut