This classic and simple holiday dressing uses Canyon Bakehouse gluten free bread to make a comforting and delicious side dish everyone at the table can enjoy!
**I know dressing is a fierce battle between dry and wet styles. Pictured are 1 inch cubes producing a dry style dressing. If you prefer a wet dressing cut your cubes into 1/4 inch or smaller pieces.**
- 24 oz loaf sliced GF bread, thawed if frozen (I used Canyon Bakehouse Honey White)
- 4 ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- ½ large yellow onion (finely chopped -approx. 1.5 cups)
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 leek (whites and light green only) (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 cups chicken or turkey stock
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and cut your bread into bite sized pieces. If you prefer a wet dressing cut smaller pieces (¼ inch) if you prefer a dry dressing cut larger pieces. (1 inch).
- On a dry baking tray place all your bread cubes and cook for 20-40 minutes to dry the bread out. Timing will depend on the size you cut the bread to. You are aiming for a stale bread feel. The bread cubes should feel slightly hard to the touch, but should remain pale. Check the bread cubes often while in the oven.
- When your bread cubes are ready remove them from the oven and set aside. Do not turn the oven off.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add your butter and allow to melt. To the melted butter add the prepared yellow onion, leek, shallot, celery, and ½ tsp salt . Stirring often allow to cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables begin to brown. When the vegetable are ready add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into a large bowl and allow to cool enough to be able to mix with your hands.
- When the vegetables are just cool enough to handle add the dried bread cubes to the bowl along with all remaining seasonings, and the chicken or turkey broth. Mix together and taste for seasoning- adjust to taste as necessary. When you are satisfied with seasoning levels mix in the eggs and combine well.
- Mix the dressing together with your hands squeezing the bread cubes as you go allowing them to break slightly and absorb more broth. Combine well. There will still be unabsorbed stock at the bottom of the bowl. This is totally okay!
- Pour the dressing and stock from the bowl into an ungreased 9 x 9 baking dish. Cover with foil and cook for 40 minutes at 350°F. Remove the foil and cook the dressing uncovered for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut