Sweet potato casserole is a Southern holiday dish that packs plenty of warming autumn spices and brown sugar into one deliciously sweet casserole. Feel free to top with lots of mini marshmallows double or omit the pecans or use both. You’re the boss chef! Get it!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled, chopped bite size)
- 10 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup or pancake syrup
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp ground clove
- ½ cup pecans (*optional)
- mini marshmallows (*optional)
- Wash and peel your sweet potatoes, and cut them into bite sized pieces. Boil until easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash until semi-smooth. If you have a kitchen aid mixer you can use the paddle attachment to quickly mash them!
- To the mash add 8 Tbsp butter, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 Tbsp vanilla, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ground clove, and 3 Tbsp maple syrup. Continue mashing until well combined. At this point taste your casserole for seasoning and adjust as desired. When you are satisfied with the taste add the eggs and stir to completely combine.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and pour your sweet potato mash into an oven safe baking dish. Using the back of a large spoon smooth the top of the casserole leaving swirls through the top.
- In a small pot over low heat melt 2 Tbsp butter. When the butter has melted remove the pot from heat and add ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 Tbsp maple syrup, ½ salt, ½ cinnamon, 1 Tbsp vanilla, and ½ cup chopped pecans if using.
- Pour your butter mixture over the top of the casserole and top with mini marshmallows if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. This casserole is delicious warm or at room temp. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut