Everyone has their trick they swear by for peeling perfect hard boiled eggs…and here’s mine! After cooling your eggs in an ice bath for 20 minutes peel your eggs under cool gently running water using the side of your thumb. Using the side of your thumb prevents accidentally gouging the egg whites with your nail, and peeling under running water helps to loosen the shell from the egg to prevent sticking.
The ice bath is also a must in my book. Every time I’ve tried to peel a warm boiled egg it’s a war zone- shells everywhere, memories of better times….
Just ice your eggs.
- 1 dozen eggs
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped pickles or relish
- 2 tsp Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tsp franks red hot (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Place your eggs in a pot with a lid and fill with water.
- Bring the pot of water to a boil and when boiling shut off the heat, cover, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. While the eggs sit fill a large bowl with ice water.
- When the 15 minutes have passed gently scoop the eggs from the pot and place them into the ice water. Allow them to rest for 20 minutes or until they're cool to the touch.
- When your eggs have cooled peel them and slice in half length wise.
- Scoop out the egg yolks and place them in a small bowl along with all remaining ingredients. Using a fork mash them together until smooth. This can also be done in a food processor if you're not trying to mash them by hand.
- Place your smooth egg yolk mixture into a small zip top bag. Cut off a small corner from the bag and presto! You've made a piping bag for your eggs!
- Fill your egg whites with the yolk mixture and sprinkle with the smoked paprika. Enjoy room temperature or chilled. These can be made and stored in the fridge up to two days in advance.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut