A restaurant favorite lightened up! This recipe is not only delicious, but flexible too!
The pork Italian sausage makes up a majority of the calories in this dish, so you can do a lot to further save calories by choosing turkey Italian sausage and reducing the potatoes by half! Looking for a lower carb option? Try substituting peeled turnips for the potatoes. Coconut milk not your thing? Use what you’ve got in your fridge! Cow’s milk, oatmilk, and almond milk can all be used but will produce a thinner broth.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups russet or yellow potatoes (sliced)
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock
- 4 to 6 cups kale (chopped, depending upon your love for kale)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 head garlic (minced)
- 1 can light coconut milk
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- In a soup pot over medium high heat add one tablespoon of olive oil and your ground Italian sausage.
- Brown the sausage and add the chopped onion the pot. Cook stirring occasionally until the onion has softened. When the onion is soft add the salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir to coat.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot, stir and cook until fragrant. About two minutes.
- Add the sliced potato, chicken broth, and coconut milk to the pot. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
- When boiling add 4 to 6 cups of kale to the pot, stir and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the Italian seasoning, stir, and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Taste for salt, pepper, and spice level and adjust as desired.
- The soup is ready when the potatoes can be broken easily with the back of a spoon. Enjoy hot!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut