This lazy eggplant parmesan gives you all the reward of a classic restaurant fried eggplant parm, but with none of the hassle that comes with *actually* frying- saving you time, calories, and any potential burns.
Try this served over your favorite gluten free pasta for a full meal or try using chickpea pasta to bump up the protein!
- 2 large eggplants (2.5 to 3 pounds)
- 1 cup gluten free panko
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oil (can use spray oil if desired)
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 3 cups pasta sauce of your choice
- 4 oz mozzarella (shredded or fresh)
- 4 oz parmesan cheese (shaved or grated)
- Slice the ends off your eggplants and chop into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp salt over the eggplant and toss to coat. Set aside for 20 minutes. We're allowing the salt to remove any excess moisture from the eggplant.
- While the eggplant is soaking:
- In a large dry skillet over low heat add your panko and 1 tsp of an oil of your choice. Stir well and toast until a dark golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Finely chop your fresh basil.
- When 20 minutes is up drain any liquid that has collected at the bottom of the bowl with the eggplant and add the eggplant to a large skillet over medium-high heat (you can totally use the breadcrumb skillet and save dishes!). Sprinkle over the dried Italian herbs and stir well. Allow the eggplant to cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- When the eggplant has softened and begun to brown slightly around the edges. Add the pasta sauce and fresh basil. Stir well and allow the sauce to heat through.
- When the sauce is warm stir in your mozzarella and parmesan and allow to melt completely.
- Stir in the toasted breadcrumbs and give everything a final big stir to make sure all the ingredients have been distributed evenly throughout the dish. Serve hot over your favorite pasta and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut