This Lyonnaise salad is a delicious and sexy mix of perfectly salty bacon, tangy vinegars, savory shallots, and rich creamy egg yolk all topped over fresh crisp lettuce. For an even richer experience try adding freshly torn garlic butter croutons over top.
- 2 eggs
- 4 strips of bacon (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 shallot (thinly sliced)
- 3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½` tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 14 oz frisee (curled endive) or Parisian salad mix (roughly chopped if needed)
- Fill a large frying pan with water about ½ in from the top and add 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar. Bring to a simmer.
- When the water is simmering gently crack in two eggs. Do not stir or touch them. Allow the eggs to simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the white is firm and the yolk is soft and runny.
- When the eggs are poached place them into a small bowl of cool water and set aside.
- Pour out the water from the pan and add the raw bacon pieces. Cook over medium low heat until the fat renders and the bacon is almost fully cooked.
- When the bacon is almost fully cooked add your sliced shallot and stir. Cook until the bacon is cooked to your liking and the shallot is softened.
- Shut off the heat and to the pan add 2 Tbsp of sherry vinegar, 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and dijon mustard. Whisk together until a loose dressing forms.
- Pour the lettuce into a large mixing bowl and pour the warm dressing over top. Toss to coat and divide into two salad bowls. The lettuce will wilt slightly from the residual heat of the dressing. This is a good thing!
- Top each bowl with a poached egg and serve. To eat- slice the egg open and mix the egg into the salad. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut