This citrus avocado salad is light refreshing and sweet! Arugula and spinach strike a perfect balance between honey, citrus, and shallot giving you a sweet and savory contrast in every bite. Saffron adds not only beautiful color and flair to the dressing, but also that certain something people won’t be able to put their finger on. The honey here is used for balance and sweetness so if you don’t have honey on hand agave nectar or even a light tasting maple syrup would be just as tasty!
- 1 orange (segmented)
- 1 grapefruit (segmented)
- 2 blood oranges (segmented)
- 5 oz spinach and arugula mix
- 1 ripe avocado ( sliced)
- 15 oz canned great northern white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 shallot (minced)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron
- In a small bowl combine your saffron, minced shallot, and vinegar. Set aside.
- To segment your citrus: Slice off the top and bottom of the fruit and cut off the sides. The goal is to try to to leave as much fruit as possible while still removing the pith (the white stuff under the rind) because it's bitter.
- When the rind and pith are fully removed you should see lines running down the fruit. Those are membranes. Gently slice between each membrane and remove only the fruit. Repeat this process with all the citrus.
- In a large bowl add the lettuce, sliced avocado, and all the segmented citrus.
- To the bowl with your vinegar and saffron whisk in the honey, salt, pepper, and olive oil. When combined toss in the white beans and coat well.
- Pour the dressing and white beans over the salad and toss well. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut