This creamy and rich lobster bisque uses whole lobster tail, heaps of aromatics, and heavy cream to bring you that familiar thick and savory soup but better because it’s gluten free!
Since it would take more lobsters than any of us are willing to pay for to make a true lobster stock at home we’re leaning on a combination of chicken stock and clam juice to bring the flavor all the way to the finish line! The lobster shells, tomato paste, and paprika are all what give a lobster bisque that beautiful golden red hue so if you want your bisque to be a deeper color just shake in some more paprika!
- 8 oz lobster tail, with shell
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp GF measure for measure flour
- 3 shallots (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- ½ medium carrot (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp paprika
- 8 oz clam juice
- 1 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp brandy or cognac
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- In a small pot over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter and when melted add the chopped shallot, celery, carrot, and kosher salt. Stir well and cook until soft.
- To the softened vegetables add the garlic, paprika, tomato paste and GF flour- stir well. Pour in the clam juice, chicken stock, white wine, thyme leaves, and cognac and bring to a simmer.
- When simmering add the whole lobster tail to the pot and submerge completely. Lobster takes about 1 minute per oz to cook. Cook according to your lobster tail weight.
- When the lobster is cooked the shell will turn bright red and the meat will be solid white. Remove the tail from the pot and slice in half. Remove the meat from the shell and roughly chop. Add the chopped meat, and heavy cream to the pot and simmer 2 minutes longer.
- Using an immersion blender or a stand blender blend your soup until smooth and enjoy hot! If you want it to look like the picture just use a spoon to drizzle in some heavy cream and sprinkle over a little paprika.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut