These stuffed peppers are a fun tex-mex take on a classic. Filled with ground turkey, cheese, chiles, beans, and taco seasoning they’re a delicious healthy way to enjoy dinner. I used lean ground turkey to help curb the amount of fat in the dish, but ground beef is stellar here and tastes even better. Ground chicken with fajita seasoning instead of taco seasoning would also be amazing. Feel free to make them your own!
Can’t find a gluten free taco seasoning near you? Try my homemade version!
This dish can also be done in the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours, or if you’re short on time chop up your bell peppers and cook the peppers and filling in a pan for a quick unstuffed pepper skillet! As always you can watch the prep video for these on my IGTV.
- 6 bell peppers (Get the biggest ones you can find!)
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- ½ white onion (chopped)
- ½ cup uncooked, minute rice (white or brown, your call!)
- 30 oz red enchilada sauce
- 8 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 10 oz can Rotel
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 15 oz can pinto beans (drained)
- 15 oz water
- The Night Before Dinner:
- Mix together the turkey, chopped onion, taco seasoning, pinto beans, green chile, rotel, minute rice, and 6 oz of shredded cheese. Set aside.
- Slice the tops off your bell peppers and hollow out the inside removing all seeds and white membrane.
- Stuff the peppers tightly with the turkey mixture and place upright in a deep oven safe 9x13 baker. Use a baking dish that can safely go from cold to hot. Metal and ceramic should be safe here, glass is not.
- Pour 15oz of enchilada sauce over the peppers and place in the fridge overnight.
- When Ready To Cook:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F
- While your oven preheats take your dish of peppers out of the fridge to take the chill off. Remember if you used glass it cannot go from the fridge to the oven or vice versa - it will shatter.
- Top the peppers with the remaining 2oz of shredded cheese and pour 15oz of enchilada sauce into the bottom of your baking dish as well as 15oz of water. Cover your dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour or until the turkey reaches an internal temp of 165°F.
- Enjoy hot covered in the sauce at the bottom of the dish!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut