Tender sweet potatoes are roasted until ultra soft to bring out their natural sugars and then enveloped by a flavorful lemon, garlic, berbere, and cumin tahini sauce. Hot and spicy chickpeas dripping in in harissa spice are piled high and topped with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro and red onion to make a deeply satisfying plant based dish that’s as easy as it is delicious!
- 4 sweet potatoes (Japanese sweet potatoes are amazing here)
- 30 oz canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ⅔ cup harissa paste
- ¼ cup cilantro or parsley (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅔ cup tahini
- 3 lemons (juiced)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp berbere
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 head garlic cloves
- ⅔ cup water
- Preheat your oven to 450°F
- Lightly prick the skins of the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and roast in the oven for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Prepare the tahini sauce by blending together the tahini paste, garlic cloves, lemon juice. berbere, cumin, kosher salt, and water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and taste for spice. Adjust as desired.
- 10 minutes before the sweet potatoes are ready heat a small sauce pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, harissa paste, 2 Tbsp chopped parsley or cilantro, and chickpeas. Stir well and allow to simmer until warmed through.
- When the sweet potatoes are done carefully slice them open (they'll be hot!) and fluff the insides using a fork. Fill them with plenty of tahini sauce and chickpeas and garnish with red onion and remaining parsley or cilantro as desired. Enjoy hot!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut