Squash casserole is a well loved dish in the south. You would expect to see it at family gatherings, weddings, funerals, parties, potlucks etc…. you get the idea! Squash casserole is versatile in that substitutions almost always happen depending upon what you have on hand, and are always delicious! This versatility is what is what allows me to make this dish gluten free!
Enjoy this dish on its own as a filling vegetarian meal or crowd pleasing side dish! You can also brown up a pound of ground or shredded meat to up the protein for you and your family. Simply fry up a protein of your choice with a little salt and pepper and add it to the dish before topping and baking.
- 10 cups yellow squash (sliced roughly ¼" thick)
- 1 large white onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup whisky, chicken broth, or water
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 ½ cups GF panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 pound ground or shredded meat (*optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F
- Prep your onion and squash. In a large pot over med-high heat add 1 Tbsp butter and chopped onion. Saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. If using raw meat, go ahead and brown it with the onions. Just add a little salt and pepper to taste to season the meat.
- Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup whisky, chicken broth, or water.
- After the onion is browned, add the sliced squash and cook stirring frequently until all squash is soft. Cook time will depend upon how thick you sliced the squash. I tend to slice mine roughly a quarter inch thick. When squash is cooked turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the mayo, salt, pepper, eggs, garlic powder, 2 cups of cheese, and 1 ½ cups GF panko. Whisk together.
- Using a large slotted spoon to drain the excess liquid transfer the cooked squash and onions (and meat if using) into the bowl with your mayo mixture. Stir well to combine and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter and mix with 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1 cup GF panko. Stir together and spread evenly over top of your squash.
- Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut