If you have a large slow cooker and love the dark meat (legs and thighs) you could butcher your raw turkey into sections and add the sections to the slow cooker. A whole turkey will be too large for a standard slow cooker.
This recipe also works in an electric roaster set to 300F. If you plan to cook a larger turkey be sure to adjust the gravy ratios accordingly to avoid a dry bird!
- 5 lb turkey breast
- 2 red onions (chopped)
- 1 head garlic cloves (about 12)
- 4 shallots (sliced)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced)
- 1 tsp celery seed (or 1 cup chopped celery)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp rubbed sage
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- In a slow cooker place your chopped onion, shallot, garlic, carrot, thyme, rosemary, and butter.
- Nestle your turkey breast in the slow cooker and drizzle the olive oil over top. Sprinkle the parsley, sage, salt and pepper over the turkey breast and rub it in all over the turkey breast.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or until the internal temperature of the turkey breast has reached 165°F.
- When the turkey is done remove from the slow cooker, discard the skin, and shred the meat.
- In a standing blender or by using an immersion blender blend together all the broth and vegetables in the slow cooker until smooth.
- Place the shredded turkey back into the slow cooker and serve warm with lots of gravy!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut