Being a military spouse I’ve lived from coast to coast and one of the things I know I can get everywhere is decent guacamole. Who can mess that up right? Except….one of my BIGGEST pet peeves with guacamole is when you take a big ol’ scoop and bite down then -BAM- raw onion is now all you can taste. This is great if onion is all you *want* to taste, but since I’m not the Grinch your girl did not just throw down eight dollars on some table side guac to taste a fifty cent onion. So I’ve brought to you my method of softening the ingredients in lime juice before mixing into the avocado. Essentially making a quick pico de gallo. This method mellows out the onion while also allowing the flavors to intermingle for a bit which makes for a more delicious guacamole overall. I think you’ll be pleased!
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 cup tomato (seeds removed, chopped)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1 large jalapeno (seeds removed, minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 limes (juiced)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Combine all prepped ingredients except avocado into a bowl and mix. Allow to sit for 10 to 20 minutes. This is a pico de gallo. Feel free to taste it to see if the onion has mellowed enough for your liking.
- When the onion has chilled TF out scoop the avocado out of it's peel and mash directly into the pico until the avocado is as smooth or as chunky as you prefer. Give it a good stir and enjoy on everything!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!@FlavorSlut #FlavorSlut @flavorslutofficial #FlavorSlut http://facebook.com/flavorslut